In honor of the fact that I am currently in my favorite city of the world, I thought I’d blog about some of my favorite places in the Lower East Side. I lived near Union Square in the spring while I interned, and there were a few places I constantly went back to. One of them was Artichoke Pizza, but that is already in my other article about NYC, so here are five unmentioned places that are perfect when you don’t want to spend a lot, but want a good experience (whether it’s a bar or restaurant).
1. Destination Bar: With great specialty cocktails and bar foods, this bar is a great place to go to for one or two drinks after work. My friends and I would go to place games and have a drink or two after a long day. There is Jenga, Citizens of Humanity and more at this little hole-in-the-wall place.
211 Avenue A
New York, NY 10009
2. S’Mac: This place has the mac n’ cheese of my dreams. My mouth waters just thinking of it. You can get the cheesiest mac n’ cheese in a skillet to-go or sit in the restaurant and drink a beer with it. My personal favorite is the Buffalo Mac N’ Cheese. It’s a little pricey for the portion size, but it’s worth every penny.
- 157 East 33rd Street between Lexington and 3rd avenues
- 345 East 12th Street between 1st and 2nd avenues
3. Union Square Greenmarket: Even though it made the pedestrian traffic even more insane in an already populated area, I loved walking through Union Square when the market tents were set up. There was everything from beautiful flowers to spices to baked breads to every vegetable you can imagine. Everything look healthy and fresh.
4. The Nugget Spot: Though I didn’t frequent it as often as I would’ve liked, this spot was perfect for picking something up on the way home from my internship. I consider myself a chicken nugget connoisseur and this place was heaven. It had several different types of chicken nuggets with the appropriate dipping sauces and just ruled.
230 E 14th St, New York, NY 10003
5. Poco: Not going to lie to you, the food was notttt amazing and it’s a bit squished in there. But for a cheap all you can drink brunch spot, this is your place. It gets crazy for brunch with loud music and people standing around everywhere, but for $28 you can’t beat it. Also, margaritas are part of the AYCD special which is an obvious bonus.
33 Avenue B New York, NY 10009